Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Baked Beans In Tomato Sauce With Egg And Frankfurter On Rice - "Malaysian Monday 65"



For this week's MM post I decided to give the classics and hawker favourites a miss but instead introduce you to this rather bizarre way of serving baked beans with rice that I grew up with.

I cannot be sure if it is a common practice to serve baked beans with rice in other parts of Malaysia, but it certainly is very popular in my hometown of Cameron Highlands... another English legacy perhaps?

It has taken me a while to pitch this dish to Tummy, fortunately he was opened to the idea of baked beans on rice for dinner. He also happily finished off the leftover with some toast the following morning.



recipe from the tummies' kitchen
serves 3 to 4 as a one dish meal 
you'll need;
1 packet of frankfurters
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 eggs, very lightly beaten
3 cans of baked beans in tomato sauce
3 tbs of oyster sauce
2 tbs of light soy
dash of white pepper



Cut each frankfurter into 4 and make 4 x 1 cm cuts on both ends. Crack eggs into a bowl, season with a little salt and pepper and beat the eggs lightly.



Brown the frankfurters with a little oil, remove and set aside.



Saute chopped garlic with a little oil for 30 seconds then push the garlic to one side before pouring in the eggs.



When the eggs are half set, add the baked beans and mix well. 



Return the frankfurters to the pan and season with oyster sauce, soy and pepper.



Serve over a bed of steamed rice and enjoy :)




I am hosting this month's event, please send all your entries to sureshchong@yahoo.com
To find out more about the event and on how to enter, please click HERE.

11 comments:

  1. Hehe I can see the appeal of this dish and if there is leftover for breakfast then even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't find it strange at all, in fact it looks so comforting I am going to have it for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not familiar with Malaysian cuisine but I do think I would like this dish! (I'm from the Philippines - maybe we have similar tastes?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it will be nice with luncheon meat too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG this recipe is fantastic!! I got so excited from the first glance of the photo!! Hands down one of my fav things to eat and I don't know why I've never made it for myself before... Ahhh.... AWESOME! So darn perfect for a no fuss, lazy weeknight meal. Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, yes I remember this! We also ate this a lot, but instead of frankfurts, my mum would use luncheon meat cubes. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. Have a wonderful Christmas dear friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. perfect for breakfast...and it is easy to prepare too. I think it is best with coffee too =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious, great comfort food! And so simple too, great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes we did this in Singapore too, but without the egg. I'm going to try it with next time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is the strangest dish I have seen in awhile...but then I'm not a big fan of baked beans. I do find it so interesting though that I had to come here and find out how you did it! :) I know my sister would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cooked as your recipe but i added chilli padi, onion, garlic and ginger. Instead of rice i use paste. And it taste great. Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin