Thursday, April 28, 2011

Spiced Lamb, Pine Nuts, Sultanas And Spinach Pinwheel Pie




There are a few recipe ideas on the back of the ready rolled puff pastry packaging in the freezer and I was particularly interested in the look of the pinwheel pie. The original recipe asked for bolognese sauce but I thought the spiced lamb stuffing I made for my spiced lamb filo rolls might work well and so it did! This is a lot less fiddly compared to the filo rolls and we were both very impressed with the end result so give it a try!
P.S Do accept my apology for the poor quality of the photos as these were taken under artificial lighting. 



serves 3 to 4 with a side salad
oven preheated at 200 C
for the spiced lamb filling;
500g of minced lamb
1 onions, finely diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tbs of cumin powder
1/2 tbs of coriander powder
1/4 tbs of cinnamon powder
1 tbs of hot paprika powder
1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
2 tbs of yoghurt
2 tbs of tomato puree
salt and pepper to taste
chopped coriander leaves
3 tbs of sultanas
3 tbs of pinenut, toasted
100 g of baby spinach, blanched, refreshed and squeeze dry

for the yoghurt sauce;
3/4 of a cup of Greek yoghurt
a handful of mint leaves, finely shredded
1/2 tbs of cumin powder
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tbs of grated lemon rind
salt and pepper to taste

you'll also need;
2 puff pastry sheets
1 egg, beaten
dressed salad to serve



Blanched spinach, toasted pine nuts and chopped aromatics.



Prepare the yoghurt sauce.



Saute onion and garlic til lightly brown then add in the minced lamb and continue to cook til lamb is no longer pink.



Add spices and tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes.



Add yoghurt and fry for a further 5 minutes or until the mixture is slightly dry. Sultanas, chopped parsley and toasted pinenuts are added and fry for a further 5 minutes. Check for seasonings and allow to cool.



Place half of the spiced lamb on a sheet of thawed puff pastry, follow by the blanched spinach and yoghurt sauce.



With the aid of the attached plastic sheet roll up the pastry as one would with swiss roll. Place it seam side down on a non stick baking pan and repeat the process with the other pastry sheet.



Place the baking pan in the fridge for 20 minutes. Brush on the egg wash and bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until golden.



Allow the pies to cool a little before slicing. Serve pie with a dressed salad.

9 comments:

  1. yum! i have to try to make something savoury like this with my frozen pastry in the freezer!

    good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, this sounds so interesting! Have to bookmark this for my next try out. Thanks, Suresh. Hope you're having a great day.
    Regards, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious. I love the seasonings in your lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just came across your blog and i love it! this looks absolutely delicious. i've never worked with pre-made pastry sheets before but i obviously need to start. keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous looking pinwheel pie..Puff pastry comes to the rescue once again! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fantastic and I am loving the filling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Tummies! I made this & while the flavour was great, I couldn't help thinking that the spices were just too much & would work better with 1kg meat rather than 500gm... then I checked your original spiced lamb filo roll recpie and the spices WERE for 1kg! So may I suggest you halve the spices on this recipe? Other than that I loved the yoghurt sauce & spinach & as I said the spice mix was fantastic, just a little over the top! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the feedback. I must have forgotten to change the measurements after my cut and paste. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin