Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sambal Tumis Ikan, Crispy Skin Rainbow Trout With Fried Sambal - "Malaysian Monday 35"



As a proud Malaysian, I always have a big jar of sambal tumis on standby. It comes in handy whenever I am craving for a simple Malaysian dish. This delicious dish took me less than 20 minutes to prepare, a good enough reason to made a batch of sambal tumis? A little tamarind paste is added to give the sauce some tartness, a squeeze of lime would do the trick too. If you are tired of your usual side dishes for nasi lemak, this will make a refreshing substitute. 



serves 3 to 4 as part of a Malaysian meal
you'll need;
2 to 3 pieces of rainbow trout or salmon fillet
a dozen of tender okra
1 onion, cut into rings
1 red chili, sliced
3/4 cup of sambal tumis
3 tbs of instant tamarind paste



Cut onion into rings. For the sambal tumis recipe, click HERE.



Pan fry trout fillets skin side down for 2 minutes then turn and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes according to how you like your fish done.



Saute onion and half the chili slices for a minute or two before adding the sambal tumis. Continue to cook for 2 minutes on medium heat.



Add tamarind paste and cook for a further minute, add a little water if the sauce is a little too thick. Check for seasonings.



Blanch okras for a minute and drain well.



Put all components on a platter, scatter the rest of the chili slices over and serve immediately as part of a Malaysian meal. As you can see I also made some sayur lodeh  (Malaysian vegetable curry) to go with our meal.



I am hosting the April event, please send all your entries to sureshchong@yahoo.com. To find out more about the event please click HERE.

10 comments:

  1. Hi my dear Tummy:)how are you?semoga sihat-sihat selalu.Hari ni makcik pun makan sambal ikan jugak tapi ikan pari bakar.Ikan yang Tummy masak ni pastinya sangat mahal di Msia:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. After this dish I am so hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing like a taste of home. It's extra special when you can make it in less than 20 minutes...and oh-so-good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing, I would have mixed everything together without thinking too much about the look lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. your sambal dishes is calling my name!! look so appetizing!! haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking very delicious!

    Btw Suresh, did u get my email re : MM? Sent you last week i think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo yummy! That looks really good! I want some please! You need to have a party in your place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your recipes... every time I take a boo I am flabbergasted!

    for that reason I gave you an award on mine.

    http://kitschinthekitchen.blogspot.com/

    Cheers, Megan

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks absolutely delicious!! The sambal... wow.. what else can I ask for?

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin