Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sweet Potato And Red Lentil Soup From The Tummies' Kitchen



Spring is here but it is going to be sometime before I start making light salads and cold noodles for dinner again. Until then a hot bowl of soup is always welcome on those remaining wet chilly spring nights. YES! I did serve the panko crumbed sweet potato and lentil patties in a bowl of soup - a soup made from ingredients almost identical to the patties. If you have read any of my previous posts on soup, you should know how I love to add some texture to the smooth liquid. It is a rather peculiar idea to serve up a soup  but it works famously well and I am  extremely pleased with the result. Happy cooking and have a great weekend!



recipe from the tummies' kitchen
serves 4
you'll need;
500 g of sweet potato, peeled and cut into large chunks
1.5 cups of red lentil, washed and soaked for an hour then drained
1 onion, chopped
2 L of stock
1 tbs of cumin powder
1 tbs of ginger powder
1 tbs of coriander powder
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper to taste
4 crumbed sweet potato and red lentil patties



Prepare the ingredients.



Saute onion with a little oil then add in the spices and cook for 2 minutes.



Add in the sweet potato and mix well.



Add stock, bay leaves and red lentil and cook on a low heat til both sweet potato and lentil are tender. Season well.



Remove bay leaves and blend til smooth. Check for seasonings.



Serves with some crusty bread or try having it with the delicious patties.

29 comments:

  1. Hi there! i tgh fikir menu2 soup, sbb my hub request utk diner buatkan soup n salad dah seminggu sya pun jd blurr dah, tak tahu nak buat soup apa lagi :D dia tak suke tomato soup jdnyer dah kurang 1 menu tuk dia ayooooo banyak pening loorr.. :D yg ni i masuk list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great dish! I love the patty in it, it makes a meal!
    I am popping a link on my fb comfort food page.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you served the soup with the patties! It works for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how smooth the soup looks! Sweet potato soup sounds fab too. That's a great idea adding the patty as well. How delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, sweet potato....yippeee....my favourite!!! A big bowl, pleeeease!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a rich and vibratnt colour soup looks really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo.. what a great idea combining the two of them! Looks like a 5 star serving here. haha... Have a great weekend.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a nice addition!I will miss the hot creamy soups in summer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love using red lentils they cook up quickly and I love the texture. I like the idea of having more texture in a creamy soup too. Sometimes a little crisp pancceta or tortilla strips sprinkled on top, but the sweet potato lentil patty sounds wonderful! Such a creative idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh..I really love to try this soup..looks so beautiful and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ta soupe à l'air si bonne j'attends ton invitation ok?
    bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  12. Un plat plein de différentes saveurs. Il doit être délicieux.
    Bon weekend et à bientôt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been eating a lot of lentils during my recent trip to India. Your lentil soup looks really good with the vibrant yellow colour!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A crisp patty in a soup looks like a great idea.

    I love lentil soups and with sweet potato it will be yummy. I am making good use of SP leaves till i get some tubers in my garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can do with a bowl of this right now!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blog!

    That looks so delicious!

    Have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  17. that looks AMAZING. Absolutely every time I read your blog I want to make what you are making...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the color of the soup, so bright and pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love sweet potatoes so I should find this soup very delicious! So creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous! I love meat but this vegetarian meal looks awsome :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ooh.. I love lentils.... it's bootiful and healthy ....

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love those ingredients..and vegetarian meals.
    What a grate looking dish!

    Big hugs
    B xx

    PLUS: Too busy working on a project..agh!!
    but I had/loved to quick pop over here. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks mouthwatering! I want some sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. The addition of the patti on top of the soup is so refined and delicious! I want to try this as soon as the weather cools off a bit over here.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Awesome comfort soup on a wet cold day! Looks creamylicious, and that should be a valid word for a soup like this!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love soup. This looks amazing. So creamy and those sweet potato cakes just put it over the edge!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin