Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cantonese Style Yuen Yong Noodles 廣府炒鴛鴦



廣府炒鴛鴦 (pronounced kwong fu chao yuen yong in Cantonese) literally means Cantonese fried mandarin ducks but don't be alarmed as no mandarin ducks are sacrificed for the dish. The yuen yong (mandarin ducks) is referring to the two different types of rice noodles used here and if you can't decide on hor fun or rice vermicelli then this is the perfect dish for you to order. In Hong Kong you are likely to get a plate of rice with two different type of sauces when you order yuen yong chao but in Malaysia this fantastic noodle dish is what you will be getting. Again if you have tried making wat dan hor and fried rice vermicelli (wet version), making this is going to be a breeze. This is a very simple dish but also a very well thought after one; the contrast of texture and the playfulness of the name of the dish is enough to make one crave for this time and time again.
P.S 鴛鴦 (pronounced yuan yang in Mandarin) consists of the two Chinese characters 鴛 (male bird) and 鴦 (female bird).



recipe per serve
you'll need;
a handful of rice vermicelli, soaked in warm water for 5 minutes and drained
a handful of fresh wide rice noodles (hor fun), loosen
2 stalks of choysum or bokchoy
a handful of sliced fish cakes
few prawns
50 g of marinated meat of your choice
2 garlic cloves, chopped
3/4 cup of chicken stock
dash of soy
dash of oyster sauce
dash of white pepper
dash of Chinese cooking wine
corn flour solution
1 egg beaten (optional)



Marinate meat of your choice with a little soy, sesame oil, Chinese cooking wine, white pepper and corn flour.



Mix 1/2 tbs of dark soy to the fresh rice noodles and 1/2 tbs of light soy to the rice vermicelli.



Char noodles in a smoking hot wok for a few minutes, do not attempt to move the noodles too much. Set aside and keep warm.



Slowly pan fry the rice vermicelli til crispy and golden. Some restaurants deep fry the vermicelli in order to save time, you will find slowly frying the rice vermicelli rather than deep frying will yield a much more satisfying result. Set aside and keep warm.



Saute chopped garlic for a few seconds then add in the prawns follow by the marinated meat, fish cakes and choysum. Fry for a minute or two and add in the seasonings.



Add chicken stock, bring it to a simmer. Check for seasonings before thicken with corn flour solution. A beaten egg can be added now for wat dan sauce (silky egg sauce).



Pour the hot sauce over the noodles and serve immediately with some pickled green chillies.



If you have eaten or cooked any Malaysian meal recently, please join us and share with us your recipes and experience. All you need to do is grab the batch above and place it at the end of your post, linking it back to us of course. Since I am hosting the event this month, send me an email for the link to your post :)  Click HERE to find out more.

41 comments:

  1. Hi tummy!!!! mcm rindu pulak lama tak singgah, bz lah lately :D byk yg dah ter miss ni sume sedap2! ;-) lebih kurang dgn ladna ke ni?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must be such an expert at cantonese style fried noodles. This looks like a restaurant dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aiyo! Can I say I love this??? Love, love, love!! When I was back in KL last year ... every other night ... Yin Yang Chow & Hokkien Mee ... Haaaa... how I miss it!

    Now, I can make it ... Thanks Tummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The noodles look fantastic!! Hope your week is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Harriet from CarltonAugust 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM

    Thanks for the introduction as I have never seen this dish before. Love the name and I can imagine it tastes as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great looking dish with an interesting name. I should be eating this rather than my ham sandwich :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another yummy noodle dish from you! I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this already! Very interesting to have 2 different noodles in one dish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm...this is one of my favorite noodles dishes...looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 好一道美味炒鴛鴦。 你們馬來西亞的麵食比我們台灣的有趣多了。

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is great for indecisive people like me. Love the name of the dish!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You won't believe this, I only got to know what 炒鸳鸯 is 2 days ago and here you are posting this dish! Definitely going to try this. Look for my post... when I get home :D!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I also forgot to mention... a Malaysian friend had told me that this is not available in Singapore but that is not true. I always order this as Bee Hoon Hor Fan... but I have to admit Chao Yunyong sounds much nicer :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I made the beef noodles for lunch today and it was a success :) Now you have another delicious dish for me to try.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am loving this beautiful dish and I am glad no mandarin ducks were killed for this post lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. My kind of noodle dish again. I am quite comfortable cooking wat dan hor now, just need a little more practice with the vermicelli and I will be frying mandarin ducks lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like to order this noodle in restaurant, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Can I have some for my dinner? Where to place order?

    ReplyDelete
  19. always love it when there are 2 mixed noodles. and the gravy looks really nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mmmm....delicious mixed noodles. I sure need one now :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks really good and with the 2 types of noodles it is just awesome! Lots of good flavor going on there!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is late but I would love some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad that i've found your blog!

    I really love Malaysia's Kwong Fu Chow and what more, yuen-yong in your case!

    Gonna participate in your Muhibbah Malaysia Monday tomorrow. Sounds like fun plus, i just cooked sambal petai with fried ikan bilis today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a fresh and lovely looking meal. I love the dual noodles. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi my dear Tummy...menu yang ringkas dan sedap...hai tak cukup masa rasanya untuk selongkar dapur Tummy ni...nak cari resepi:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hey buddy I love how there is always meaning behind a dish, a very delicious one too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Yor blog is great.

    i follow your blog :)
    saludos desde España (cheers from Spain :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have never eaten this dish, but it looks super good...!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Argh! You're making me crave noodles at this tiem of night. This looks so yummy. Can you make "yee min" (sorry don't know if that's the right name)? It's one of my favourites- for friend can one?? ;P

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am amazed at how easy this is to make for such a picture perfect dish. The combination of noodles must really create a unique textural difference. It makes me hungry just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. now that looks like one delicious meal....I do love shrimp and you certainly have created a masterpiece with all those wonderful ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This looks like an excellent preparation of noodles I must try soon!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Looks so good. Neice step by step presentation.

    ReplyDelete
  34. This noodle looks as good as the stall behind my house. I love this dish with beehoon and the kway teow ... look like yours has enough "wok hei" as well.

    ReplyDelete
  35. As arsenic is a natural element in soil, water, and air, the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) monitors the levels of arsenic in foods, particularly in rice products used commonly for infant food. For more info see rice

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a note. I love to know what you think!

press me

3 hungry tummies

My photo
melbourne, victoria, Australia

linkwithin